Don’t you just love it when you can no longer deal with winter and the rain, arrives spring with all it’s colourful blooms and gorgeous vegetables. I could easily be a vegetarian during spring with all the fresh, delicious and healthy produce : )
Asparagus is one of those vegetables with so many health benefits that it should be on everyone’s diet. It’s loaded with nutrients, packed with antioxidants, good for the heart and liver. It has anti-aging properties, keeps bones healthy and it can help prevent cancer. I can keep going on and on for a while but no worries, I won’t : )
- 300 gr asparagus
- 150-200 gr fresh ricotta
- 2 heaping Tbs of Philadelphia
- 100 gr smoked salmon
- 1 lemon, finely grated zest of
- 2 large slices of sourdough bread
- salt, pepper
- 1 large handful of fresh herbs (basil, mint, parsley, thyme etc.)
- 4-5 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- lemon juice to taste
- 2-3 soft boiled eggs
- Discard the woody ends of the asparagus spears (I use them when making a vegetable stock).
- Place them in salted boiling water and cook for a minute or two.
- Grease your grill pan with a few drops of olive oil and heat. Place the asparagus on medium high heat and grill all over until nicely charred, 4-5 mins.
- Mix ricotta, philadelphia and lemon zest until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make the vinaigrette place herbs in your food processor with the olive oil and whizz until smooth, add lemon juice to taste.
- Place asparagus into a dish and pour over half the vinaigrette and mix.
- Toast the bread lightly on both sides.
- Spread the toasted bread with the cheese mixture then top with smoked salmon and asparagus. Drizzle with more vinaigrette.
- Serve with soft boiled eggs.
This could be served as a filling lunch or a light meal for two. You can also serve them as an appetiser cut into smaller pieces.