It’s finally peach season and I’ll do the opening with a favourite of mine; Peach & Almond Cream Galette. The pairing of sweet and juicy fruit with the toasted almond frangipane is just divine. It’s one of those perfect desserts to end a long summer meal.
I’ve been meaning to write this recipe for a while but never got round to it. So when I was invited to collaborate with a great group of bloggers and instagrammers to share recipes where the main ingredient was peaches, I thought there couldn’t be a better occasion.
I started off with my go to classic pie crust and topped it with a simple almond frangipane. I slightly toasted the almond meal beforehand and it just took the whole thing up a notch.
I doubled my basic pie crust recipe and used 3/4 to obtain this shape, placed the rest in the freezer for later use. If you prefer to make a smaller one just halve the recipe which would be enough for 4-6 people.
- FOR THE CRUST
- 230 gr butter (cut into cubes and kept in the freezer for 15-20 mins prior to using)
- 2½ cups all purpose flour (350 gr)
- 2 Tbs granulated sugar
- 6 Tbs water + 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar (ice cold)
- 1 ts salt
- FOR THE FRANGIPANE
- 2 Tbs almond meal (slightly toasted in a dry pan)
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 2 Tbs soft butter
- 1 small egg white
- a pinch of salt
- 4 medium peaches
- 3-4 Tbs granulated sugar
- 1 Tbs corn starch
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbs milk
- 1 Tbs granulated sugar
- Place flour, sugar and salt in your food processor with the ice cold butter and whizz using short pulses until the butter pieces are the size of a pea.
- Add 6 Tbs of the water and vinegar mixture and mix for a few seconds. Squeeze a piece of dough to see if it's moist enough, the dough should just hold together, add the rest of the liquid if the dough falls apart in your hand.
- Bring dough together without kneading, form into a disk, wrap in plastic and rest in the fridge for an hour.
- To make the frangipane cream place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix until well blended.
- Halve, core and slice the peaches. Mix with sugar, corn starch and vanilla extract.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F)
- Roll the chilled dough on parchment paper to a ⅛ inch thickness into a rectangular shape. Trim the edges a little so it's nice and straight.
- Spread the frangipane over the rolled dough, leaving a two inch border.
- Arrange the peach slices over the frangipane and cut about two inch squares off of each corner of the dough. This way it will be easier to fold the dough and the corners won't be so thick.
- Fold the excess dough over the fruit.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle a Tbs of sugar all over the border.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 45-50 mins or until you have a deep golden crust.
- Let cool for 15 mins,best served slightly warm topped with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
The dough can be kept in the fridge for up to three days.
Also freezes well and will keep for two months in the freezer if wrapped tightly with plastic.