After a wonderful christmas break spent with good friends, I’m trying to catch up with my long waiting blog posts. These Cranberry and pistachio shortbread cookies are what I baked the most during holidays but they are so good that you’re gonna want to have them all year round.
I’ve been absent from the social media for the last couple of weeks as I wanted to give all my attention and time to my family. Don’t get me wrong I love connecting through Instagram and my blog page but sometimes it can be a little time consuming so I feel it’s important to take little breaks every once in a while. Now getting back to my normal routine and trying to make up for lost time I’ll start with this gorgeous shortbread cookie recipe.
First thing I look for in anything I cook or bake is that it has to taste good, I don’t much care how long it takes to make or whether it’s easy or difficult. But when I get both delicious and practical in one recipe, ‘bingo’ it’s a keeper and goes straight into my favourites list.
You will be pleasantly surprised how simple these are; no need for a rolling pin or cookie cutters, no rerolling the scraps… Prepare the dough, shape into a log, chill, slice and bake. Maximum pleasure with minimum effort : )
It’s also one of those perfect make ahead recipes. I usually divide the log into 2-3 pieces and wrap them individually before freezing for later use. This way I can choose to bake just one piece or the whole lot depending on the number of people I’m baking for. When ready to bake I leave the log/s on the counter for 10 mins before slicing, then put them straight into the oven. This way you can always have freshly baked cookies in no time.
- 2 cup flour (280 gr)
- 1 cup butter, softened (230 gr)
- 75 gr powdered sugar (2/3 cup)
- ¼ cup dried cranberries (roughly chopped)
- ¼ cup pistachio (roughly chopped)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine flour with salt and pass through a fine sieve.
- Beat soft butter and powdered sugar with an electric whisk for a couple of minutes, until pale.
- Add in the vanilla extract.
- Mix in the flour using a wooden spoon or the lowest setting on your kitchenaid until just combined.
- Add cranberries and pistachios.
- Transfer the dough onto a piece of plastic wrap and shape into a log, wrap tightly.
- Place in the fridge for a minimum of 30 mins or longer if you have time.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Slice the chilled log into ⅓ inch pieces, place on a parchment lined baking tray and chill for another 15 mins, in the freezer if possible.
- Bake for about 13-15 mins or until lightly golden.
- Let cool for 10 mins then transfer onto a wire rack.
- Try not to eat them all at once : ))
Unbaked cookie dough can be stored in the freezer for upto two months.
Slightly adapted from www.ohsweetday.com